Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Update from the Bench.

Running is still on hold for me as I work on overcoming a problem with Runners Knee.

I've been going to a physiotherapist twice a week for the last 3 weeks and it's been about 5 weeks since my week 7 day 1 run on my C25K program.

Progress has been OK but not stellar. Generally the leg feels OK if I don't run or walk but as soon as I start walking the symptoms come right back.

I have a series of exercises and stretches I'm doing to recuperate so let's hope we're seeing more improvement in the next few weeks.

I'm also riding a lifecycle every other day for 42 minutes in an effort to keep the general fitness up.

I've had to skip 2 runs that I've been registered for, and at this point, I'll skip signing up until I'm sure I can make it.

On a positive note, I signed up for Steve Runner's Kick the Couch 5K. I mainly walked the distance last Friday. I probably shouldnt have gone but I didn't want to miss this one.

Also, on Monday, Thanksgiving Day here in Canada, in one of the races I had to skip, my son-in-law Mike covered the 5k in 19:43. Nice time for a relative beginner to running. My daughter was in at 26:20. They were 6th and 9th in their respective age groups!

Congratulations Lauren and Mike. Dad is extremely proud of both of you and I really hope you keep at it and keep enjoying running the way you are right now. I'll never forget the day.

Dad

Batman to the rest of you.

3 comments:

Muppet said...

Hi Batman,
Glad to see an update from you, and good to hear that you're improving. I've been wondering how you were doing. I've been 'on the bench' myself since Oct 3, (wk8d3 for me)with a knee problem. I was hoping rest and ice would do the trick, but no such luck, so now have to wait 'til Mon. to get in to see the physio. Its so frustrating isn't it, when we had been doing so well with c25k.
How wonderful that your daughter and son-in-law ran the race, and what fantastic times. Congrats to them both! Hope you're soon back running, and back on the c25k boards. :)

Patrick Batty said...

Thanks Muppet.

I'm sorry to hear the knee has messed up for you two. Interesting to see that it was when we were both getting into the 25 minute runs. I wonder if the program comes on a bit too fast at the upper end.

Best of luck with the recuperation.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Pat! Yeah it was a fun day...don't worry, we have a race together yet. Once the knee gets to where it needs to be, we'll register for something...how about Hawaii?

The blog is looking great...keep it up.

Cheers,

Mike