Sunday, August 31, 2008

C25K Week 6 Day 1

This run is the second last one with walking segment intervals. I found it a bit easier than my 20 minute run the other day, and in retrospect miles easier than the first day's with 8 minute runs a week or two ago.

Here's my running log: http://www.runnerplus.com/run/5255-435701/

It really is quite astounding how we can improve so rapidly with such a basic training program.

It's a beautiful warm sunny day @25C and 54% humidity. The humidity was not so bad as some others lately. Overall, a gorgeous day here in Toronto area, with a crystal clear skies. A perfect day for the last long weekend of summer.

Over the last week or so I've been starting to get some mild pain around my left knee. The pain is surrounding the interior of the knee and on the tendon / ligament? raising from the back of it.

Clearly this is probably an overuse issue as I've done nothing specific to injure it.

The last few days, I've been icing it and using some liniment on it. I've been doing some extra stretching as well. I'll continue this treatment but also keep an eye on it. If it gets worse I probably should at minimum cut the running down to 3 days in 7 rather than 3 in 6. We'll see.

Boni and I are joining friends on a long bike ride on trails in the Kitchener Waterloo this afternoon. I'll have to be conscious of keeping the bike in easy gears so as not to further strain the knee.

On a sad note, my beloved Toronto FC lost 2-1 late last night in California on a goal in the 4th minute of extra time! It's the 5th time this season that a team has scored on us in the final minutes of a game. Is this a fitness issue? That must have been a pretty lifeless flight home for the fellows last night. It pretty much eliminates any chance of going into the playoffs.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and adding me to your blogroll. I've done the same to yours if you don't mind!

Keep up the awesome work and be careful with your knee. Stretching seems to help me a lot, my problem area is in my right loin right after the workout.

It's so great to weave a network of other beginning runner's and personally it keeps me inspired and pushes me on :)