Friday, August 29, 2008

Week 5 is now a wrap. I'm a 20 minute Man!

That was interesting. It's probably been at least 15 years since I've run 20 minutes non stop. I may have done a session or two on a treadmill a few years back, but 20 minutes of pure roadwork has not been something I've done for a long, long time.

Here's mu log: http://www.runnerplus.com/run/5255-431790/

Anyway, I can't say it anymore, because I did it today.

I was a little concerned as I headed out, because we're back to pretty warm weather. 25C but with 75% humidity so it feels like well into the 30s.

Regardless, being it's only 20 minutes running I decided to head out anyway and give it a go.

I must say I'm not beyond the point where the thought patterns keep on telling me to walk a while every so often. Maybe someday that will stop, but for now the thought creeps in about every 2 minutes or so, especially in the last 6 minutes of the run.

For now, however, I just put up with it and keep going. When the 20 minutes of running was complete I really think I could have run any more at all. That's the beauty of this program. It constantly takes you to the edge of your abilities and increases that point as you continue to improve. You're always at the edge.

My stats today were 4.61 K in 37:49 for an average pace of 8:12 per KM. The pace of my running in the middle km. (that had no walking portions) was 6:50 per km. So it looks like a 5k in the range of 35 minutes is what I'll be ding in a few weeks when I do my first race. Nothing special but it will be a nice benchmark for the future.

No comments: